After my last post I thought it would be a good idea to ask you if you would like to join in making a magazine. The basic idea is to publish one of your posts in the magazine each month. I would like our readers to pay as little as possible to buy our publication.
So my question should really be: "would you be willing to pay a small contribution for this?"
Long-term goal would be creating a system to select and shape the post to fit the magazine and to establish a stable group of readers by expanding it slowly. A magazine needs a clear subject that it's readers would like to read about every month. This will require a pre selected topic by the subject of interest of our target audience.
Our magazine will have a rich content from sources all over the world. The news by real people paying to be published. Finally some different points of view in one wrapper at the lowest price. Our authors pay to publish and spend time to create the content, it's very profitable to buy and will always be a refreshing read.
We bring an exclusive product something people didn't see before. We may not have the quality of writing our price and lack of advertisement defeats many if not all magazines. Honest and uninfluenced news from real people.
We will have fun from day one and no one is going to stop us. Apart from our goal to be publishable globally and our full ban on gibberish we exercise our full right of freedom of speech. That just doesn't compare to our average hype targeted journalist.
We will need to find bloggers that are willing and able to help us build our career as successful editors. We all know a dozen great blogs, would be rude not to ask em?
Please, let me hear what you think!
The main goal is getting the writers(you) involved from the start? So I didn't figure every thing out jet.
- With technology as it is today, especially here in the United States, more and more people are connecting to the Internet everyday. And in 5 to 10 years, almost every household will be online. Either by home pcs, macs, laptops, handhelds, cellphones, and refrigerators, yes refrigerators! The list will go on and on as technology advances as everyone knows. So my first question is probably the most important one. Who will buy this magazine?
- The same people as who read your blog you and maybe a friend or 2 you subscribed to it - as a gift. We can use it to build our personal or professional image.
- Newspaper and Magazine sales have been declining .... more and more people start getting their news and favorite magazines on-line instead of reading hard-copies of the same articles they have to pay for.
- But some just prefer to read it on paper. They don't get it for free but just a bit cheaper. Our target reader would be the web users.
- Investors in the magazine?
- It should be owned by the writers I think?
- Well as you probably done a lot of research already on your great idea, this might be a tough sell. I think a lot of people would agree with me, but publishing a magazine would mainly have to depend on "Advertisers" that will run their ads to reach a different market.
- Thats what is making the current magazines horrible to read.
- This is where most of the income would really have to come from to successfully publish a magazine in todays hi-tech world. But even then it might be hard for them to want to advertise in a magazine that people can read on line for free.
- They would have to write a blog post to advertise their blog. I think 3 differently priced publishers contracts would work.
- But its going to be hard finding people who would invest in this distribution.
- Depends on the number of readers.
- Have you calculated the startup cost yet? If so, how much will it be? Publishing fees, printing fees, layout fees, etc. aren't that cheap as we would like to imagine.
- I thought that we should do that together.
- Have you contacted any printshops or publishers to get a estimate on how much the fees would be? Are we talking a few hundred copies or thousands? Bulk-mail discounts?
- no not jet..
- I guess my initial feeling is why pay to be global..we already are. I dont really care who reads me and who doesnt. The people who enjoy me do..others dont.So is life.
- We already pay for a pc and Internet connection and we spend time making the blog. But this would be for people that like to read you but just didn't know. :-)
Thank you to for the feedback, just the viewpoints we need. Please post a question.